Your wedding day is just around the corner, and we know you're excited to look your radiant best as you walk down the aisle. Bridal makeup is an essential part of your wedding day look, and it should enhance your natural beauty while still making you feel extra glamorous. But there’s one aspect that often gets overlooked in the pursuit of bridal beauty, and that’s good hygiene. This is an area where ‘health and safety’ is not just a buzzword – it’s crucial to understand the risks and know what to look out for in order to maintain impeccable makeup hygiene on your big day and ensure the perfect bridal look without any risk of a nasty infection.
To bring our makeup hygiene knowledge up to date, we spoke to an expert – Antonia Hawke, creator of The Pro Hygiene Collection. This collection of specially designed hygiene and sanitising products was created specifically for the makeup industry, which is why they are such a favourite with pro artists. They’re easy to use and scientifically proven to kill off bacteria and germs. Antonia has shared her top tips for brides with us today! (Pros, be sure to keep an eye on our Instagram for news of an exciting giveaway!)
So let’s start with the basics. Why is makeup hygiene important and what are the potential risks? As we all know, hygiene has taken a more central role in all aspects of life since COVID. When it comes to beauty, most of us also know some basics like respecting the shelf life of our products and not sharing wands and other applicators. On your wedding day, makeup hygiene is a non-negotiable. Imagine a fairytale wedding where the bride's eyes are red and watery, her skin itchy and irritated – not the picture you had in mind, is it? Unfortunately, according to Antonia, unhygienic makeup application can lead to nasty infections like conjunctivitis, blepharitis, corneal ulcers, herpes simplex, impetigo, and even ringworm! “Hygiene is an essential part of any daily professional practice, and for the makeup and beauty industry, practitioners should adhere to a high level of hygiene, both personal and client-side,” she says.
How do you ensure that your makeup artist follows hygienic practices? First, it’s always a good idea to check if they have any safety or hygiene guidelines as part of their service. There are other things you can also look out for. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect makeup artist for your big day.
- Always ask for evidence of training and experience. Before you leap into the trial session, do some sleuthing. Ensure your makeup artist is not only talented but also certified and insured. An uninsured artist might be cutting corners in other areas.
- Look for reviews and ratings from previous clients. What's the word on the street? Reviews and ratings from previous clients provide insights into a makeup artist's skills and professionalism.
- Read the fine print. Life can throw curveballs, so be sure you know the cancellation and refund policy, just in case you need to make changes to your booking.
- Reach out with any questions. Don't be shy – ask those burning questions! If you have queries about their experience, products, or hygiene practices, reach out before you make a booking.
- Book a trial session. Before the big day, schedule a trial session to get to know your makeup artist's style and ensure their hygiene practices meet your standards.
So which good or bad practices should you be looking out for? Here are some of the key practices and watch points to keep an eye on.
- Cross-contamination. Hygienic beauty practice applies to all beauty products, treatments, makeup, and makeup tools and, just as importantly, the application procedure. It’s no good if the beauty practitioner or makeup artist is using a disposable mascara wand but is cross-contaminating products by putting that disposable back into the mascara tube. Contaminated brushes and products breed micro-organisms that can cause a whole host of health problems. Make sure your makeup artist knows their way around disposables and practices clean habits.
- Double-dipping. Disposables are the superheroes of hygiene when used correctly. This means no double-dipping. If your artist isn't using them, it's a big red flag!
- Keep it clean. A clean kit is a dream kit! Insist on a clean and sanitised makeup kit, brushes, products, and accessories. If their kit or work area looks less than clean, it's time to consider other options. You deserve a safe and sanitary glam squad.
As you embark on this magical chapter of your life, remember that glamour and germs don't mix! By following the tips above, you can ensure that your bridal makeup artist prioritises hygiene, and you can look and feel your best on your special day. If the makeup artist isn't meeting your hygiene standards, don't hesitate to walk away. Your health and safety come first, always! Here's to a happy, healthy, and hygienic happily ever after!